Harnessing Your True Leadership Voice: A Journey from MIT to Global Empowerment
In this inspiring interview, Maria Kellis, CEO, Maria Kellis International, shares her remarkable journey from earning multiple degrees at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology to experiencing devastating health challenges to redefining success and leadership. She emphasizes the message of hope, highlighting that no one is fundamentally broken, and everyone has the potential for transformation. Maria's story unveils the damaging impact of a belief system rooted in self-doubt, leading her to relentless striving for perfection. Her transformation began when she recognized the need to embrace her true self and let go of the victim mentality. She emphasizes the importance of shifting from a win-lose mindset to a win-win approach in leadership and life. Maria's journey from being in a wheelchair to overcoming her severe multiple sclerosis is a testament to the power of the mind and the ability to rewrite one's own narrative. She urges leaders to start by embracing their true selves and working on personal growth, as this is the key to creating positive change in the world.
Why should leaders listen to this interview?
Leaders will gain a fresh perspective on leadership, personal development, and the transition from being a victim to becoming a conscious leader who positively impacts their own life and the world around them. Maria's story is a source of hope and inspiration for leaders seeking to navigate the challenges of leadership with resilience, empathy, and an emphasis on personal growth and well-being.
3 Powerful Leadership Lessons:
- Embrace Your True Self: Maria's journey from self-doubt and relentless striving for perfection to self-acceptance highlights the importance of embracing one's true self. Leaders must recognize that they are not fundamentally broken and have the potential for transformation.
- Shift from Win-Lose to Win-Win: Maria advocates for a shift in mindset from a win-lose approach to a win-win scenario in leadership. True leadership involves creating opportunities for everyone to succeed and fostering a collaborative and empathetic environment.
- The Power of Mind and Focus: Maria's journey illustrates the incredible power of the mind and the ability to rewrite one's own narrative. Leaders can harness this power to create positive change in themselves and their organizations.
3 Impactful Quotes:
- "I want to give a message of hope that no matter where you are, there's still hope. There's still a place, and there's nobody who's broken." - Maria Kellis emphasizes the message of hope and self-acceptance, highlighting that no one is fundamentally broken.
- "We cannot wait for the world to be fixed by others because those people that were waiting for it to be broken in the first place, they don't know how to." - Maria Kellis underscores the importance of taking responsibility and action to create positive change in the world.
- "True freedom comes from knowing that we create everything—good, bad, and ugly. That's us. When things are not aligned with what we want, instead of saying, 'It's this person's fault,' say, 'I'm taking a hundred percent responsibility for everything.'" - Maria Kellis emphasizes the power of personal responsibility and the role leaders play in shaping their own narratives and the world around them.
Connect with Maria Kellis:
Links and References:
Connect with Jenny:
- Interested in being a guest on The Room: Where Leaders Talk or to share a comment, please contact us at [email protected]
About Jenny DuFresne, The Room Host:
Jenny DuFresne is the CEO, Leaders Transform, a business growth training firm. The Leaders Transform team helps CEOs and leaders mitigate the risks to revenue, reputation, and productivity. People are the soul of every company. Leaders Transform’s 6 Levers of Culture, Trust, Communication, Engagement, Values, and Alignment build great teams, reduce employee turnover, and build vibrant company culture. Since 2013, the firm has served more than 3,500 business leaders and teams around the globe.
Jenny is a Veteran with 10 years of service in the United States Marine Corps. She is the international bestselling author of From Empty to Overflow: 5 Radical Actions for Women Leaders, a leadership guide for women leaders to lead harmonious lives. She holds degrees from Harvard University and George Mason University.
See you next week in The Room.